By Chris Edwards
WOODVILLE – Woodville police officer Troy Costello returned home last week from the hospital, as he continues to recover from being shot during an incident last month.
Costello returned to a community united in support for him and his family, with blue ribbons tied around doors, utility poles and other motifs displayed to show support. Costello had been in the hospital since the incident, which occurred on the morning of Sunday, Sept. 17, and endured multiple surgeries, after being shot in the face by Reginald Owens, a 41-year-old Hemphill man.
Owens was later found by multiple lawmen representing multiple agencies after a manhunt that lasted about an hour. He refused to follow commands, began to reach for his weapon and was shot and killed by deputies with the Tyler County Sheriff’s Office.
According to Woodville’s chief of police, Mike McCulley, Costello still has limited speaking ability, due to where the bullet entered and due to the surgeries to repair the damage.
The Woodville City Council approved, at a special meeting on Sept. 25, that the deficit in Costello’s pay would be made up by the city, so that he will receive his full pay while out. Workers’ compensation pays 70% of his salary, while the city has covered the remaining 30%.
There has also been a fundraiser ongoing to cover incidental expenses for his family at this time. Anyone interested in donating can do so at Stellar Bank in Woodville. An account has been opened under his wife Dalynda’s name.
All of the bank tellers are aware of the account, so anyone wishing to donate to the fund to help the family need only to give her’s or Troy’s name in order to make a deposit.