GROVETON — A 71-year-old woman and three of her pets died in a house fire Thursday morning.
Margaret Catherine Baggett, who lived in the 2000 block of U.S. Highway 287, died in her residence, according to Trinity County Sheriff’s Office records.
Reports indicate that the call came in at about 10:30 a.m. from a witness who reported the house was completely aflame and the fire was spreading to the lawn. The caller reported a downed power line in the vicinity as well.
Groveton Fire Chief Glenn Hammond said the house was totally engulfed when the Groveton VFD arrived.
As well as Groveton, the Trinity, Pennington and Corrigan departments were called out for mutual aid.
“We were advised that someone may still be inside,” Hammond said. “After the fire was contained we found the remains of the person.”
The blaze was investigated by the Sheriff’s Office and the county Fire Marshal, and early indications were that the fire was caused by the dryer.