Write a comment
Students in Caitlin Anderson’s Introduction to Agriculture, Food, and Natural Resources class have been studying the poultry industry and embryology. First, the students incubated chicken eggs and followed the daily process of the anatomical development inside the shell until day 21 when the egg hatched. Pictured with hatched chicks are Iris Aguilar, Michael Parks, Marcelino Beiza and Dylan Vincent.
Special to the News-Times
SHEPHERD — Shepherd ISD Career and Technology Education Program is a great way for students to prepare for the highly technological and competitive workplace of the 21st century. Shepherd CTE Program embraces quality instruction opportunities and experiences to prepare all students for the challenges of post-secondary education, a globally competitive workplace and active citizenship. Our program provides students with various avenues to develop an individual pathway for academic and career-oriented instruction and success.
Programs of Study that Shepherd ISD offers:
• Agricultural, Food, and Natural Resources, including Agribusiness, Animal Science, Applied Agricultural Engineering, Environmental and Natural Resources, Food Science and Technology, Plant Science
• Architecture and Construction, including Carpentry, Construction Management and Inspection
• Arts, Audio Video Technology and Communications, Design and Multimedia Arts, Digital Communications
• Business, Marketing and Finance, including Accounting and Financial Services, Business Management, Entrepreneurship, Marketing and Sales
• Education and Training, including Early Learning, Teaching and Training
• Health Science, including Healthcare Diagnostics, Healthcare Therapeutic, Exercise Science and Wellness
• Hospitality and Tourism, including Culinary Arts, Travel, Tourism and Attractions
• Human Services, including Family and Community Services, Health and Wellness
Certifications that are available for students to attain:
• Certified Phlebotomy Technician
Students acquire this certification in Health Science Clinical through National Healthcareer Association providing entry level jobs.
Local certification given through the Ready Set Teach program.
•Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator
Certification through Certiport to help develop a professional portfolio.
Students acquire this certification in Health Science Clinical through National Healthcareer Association providing entry level jobs
•Microsoft Office Specialist
Word, Excel, PowerPoint — Recognized business certifications providing entry level job opportunities
Certification in a program utilized by numerous small businesses
Provided by the Texas Veterinary Medical Association for entry level recognition
Allows students to work where alcohol is served or sold
•Interview skills certification through Career Safe
Properly prepares students for interviews
•OSHA 10 and OSHA 30—Safety
Taught in multiple classes with widely recognized by numer-ous employers
•American Welding Society
D9.1 stick, S1.1 MIG, Z49.1 Oxy-Acetylene; AWS welding certifications are Industry Recognized
An OSHA certification recognizing safe operation of forklifts
•NCCER: Construction Technology, Core Curriculum
NCCER is the leading provider in construction certifications.
•Texas State Floral Assistant
Recognized certification in the Floral industry
•Texas Beef Quality Assurance
Provided by the Texas Beef Council
•Texas Hunter Education/ Boater Education
Required by Texas Parks and Wildlife and other states to purchase licenses
•Servsafe Food Protection Handler
Widely accepted certification in the food preparation and serving industry
•Servsafe Food Protection Manager
The next level certification in the food service industry
•Health Care Provider — AED/CPR
The recognized AED/CPR certification in the healthcare business. Our students receive this additionally with the CNA certification
•Certified Nurse Assistant
Provided through a partnership with Angelina College providing entry level jobs in health care