Write a comment
The COCISD Education Foundation (COEF) presented a symbolic check to the district that represents the amount given in grant awards during the 2021 Fall Grants campaign. Pictured from left: COEF Governance Chairperson Jay Phillips, Director Alec McGowen, Director Barbara Moore, Fundraising Committee Chairperson Dr. Judi Benestante, Grants Chairperson Cathy Loflin, Finance Committee Chairperson Diane Colburn, Director April Plunkett, President Suzanne York, Director Lisa McCulloch and Superintendent Dr. Bryan Taulton. Photo by Cassie Gregory
Special to the News-Times
COLDSPRING — The Coldspring-Oakhurst CISD Education Foundation awarded a total amount of $27,694.13 to COCISD teachers as part of the COEF 2021 Fall Grants campaign.
They presented a symbolic check to the COCISD Board of Trustees on Nov. 15.
Each year the COEF opens up the Fall Grant season with a call for grant applications during the month of October. They invite all COCISD faculty, academic departments, and campus administrators to submit applications for innovative projects that would not otherwise be funded.
The COEF is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing resources for COCISD teachers and students that would not otherwise be possible. The COEF Board of Directors is comprised of community volunteers who work year-long to raise money to award grants for innovation and effective learning projects to help COCISD students achieve academic success. The organization has awarded more than $200,000 in grants since its inception in 2011.
“We thank the Coldspring-Oakhurst CISD Education Foundation for providing these opportunities for our students and for all of the support they give to our district,” said COCISD Superintendent Dr. Bryan Taulton. “They really do make a difference.”
This year’s winners are:
• Maj. Tonya Howze/AFJROTC — RADC Competition Drones for STEM Education
• Ashlie Taylor/Floral Design — Floral Design Ribbons (printer & custom ribbon design maker)
• Chef Joel Casiday/Culinary Arts — Trojan Cafe Business & Marketing (printer/supplies to produce menus, flyers and cards)
• Mary Trimmer/Yearbook, Graphic Design — Two awards — Sports Camera and Poster Printer & Supplies specific to Graphic Design students.
Coldspring Intermediate School (CIS)
• Emily Gant/Special Education — Flexible Seating (multiple seating options to help with focus and concentration).
James Street Elementary
• Principal Shalonda Washington/JSE Campus — Two awards — “Reading is a Treat” Book Vending Machine and books to stock the machine. Students will be able to earn “coins” to put in the machine to get a book as a reward.
• Mary Jane Guerrero/Kindergarten — Boogie Down with Writing! Boogie Boards (reusable writing tools).
• Brandy Choate/Kindergarten — Innovative STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics) education stations.