Log in

Top Stories        News         Sports

Businesses reminded to render taxable property by April 15

Write a comment
Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

PropertyTax STOCK

From Enterprise Staff

If you own tangible personal property that is used to produce income, you will be receiving your 2024 rendition forms soon. You must file a rendition with the Polk Central Appraisal District by April 15.

A rendition is a report that lists all the taxable property you owned or controlled on Jan. 1 of this year. Property includes inventory and equipment used by a business. Owners do not have to render exempt property, such as church property or an agriculture producer’s equipment used for farming.

“The appraisal district may use the information submitted in the rendition to set property values,” Chief Appraiser Chad Hill said.

You can also file a report of decreased value to notify the appraisal district of significant depreciation of your property.

“For example, if your property was damaged by a storm, flood or fire last year, you should file a report of decreased value. The appraisal district will look at your property before assigning a value,” Hill said.

For most property types renditions must be filed after Jan. 1 and no later than April 15. Different deadlines apply in certain appraisal districts. A property owner may apply, in writing, for a mandatory extension to May 15.

Different deadlines apply for regulated properties.

A 10-50% penalty may be imposed if a rendition is filed late, incomplete or not at all. Property owners who need more time to file their renditions may file a written request with the chief appraiser on or before the rendition deadline to receive an automatic extension.

The chief appraiser may extend the deadline another 15 days for good cause shown in writing by the property owner for each type of property.

For more information about rendering property, deadline extensions, penalties and rendition forms, taxpayers may contact the Polk Central Appraisal District at 936-327-2174 or check the website at www.polkcad.org. Information is also available from the comptroller’s property tax assistance division’s website at comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/property-tax/.

Say something here...
symbols left.
You are a guest
or post as a guest
Loading comment... The comment will be refreshed after 00:00.

Be the first to comment.