From Staff Reports
AUSTIN – Tyler County school districts received high marks for the 2021-2022 school year from the Texas Education Agency (TEA) on how their finances are managed.
TEA rates each school district on how they manage taxpayer dollars for each school year. Every school district submits financial statements to TEA and is given a grade from the state’s financial accountability rating system, known as the School Financial Integrity Rating System of Texas (FIRST). The rating system ensures that Texas public schools are held accountable for the quality of their financial management practices. The system is designed to encourage Texas public schools to manage their financial resources better.
Both Colmesneil and Spurger received perfect scores of 100 on their FIRST ratings.
Here are how the five districts in the county fared:
• Chester ISD 98 A = Superior Achievement
• Colmesneil ISD 100 A = Superior Achievement
• Spurger Isd 100 A = Superior Achievement
• Warren Isd 89 B = Above Standard Achievement
• Woodville ISD 98 A = Superior Achievement
The primary goals of School FIRST are to:
· Efficiently assess the quality of financial management in Texas public schools
· Measure and report the extent to which financial resources in Texas public schools assure the maximum allocation possible for direct instructional purposes
· Implement a rating system that fairly and equitably evaluates the quality of financial management decisions
· Improve the management of school districts’ financial resources
· Increase financial accountability within Texas’ public education system
The system is designed to encourage Texas public schools to manage their financial resources better to provide the maximum allocation possible for direct instructional purposes.
The FIRST ratings are calculated using several critical indicators, such as the fund balance, net asset balance, annual financial report, fiscal responsibility indicators, budgeting, personnel, and cash management.
FIRST ratings for the last 20 years are available on the TEA website https://tea.texas.gov/finance-and-grants/financial-compliance/financial-integrity-rating-system-of-texas-first.