Log in

Top Stories        News         Sports

Facilities findings presented to CISD board

Write a comment
Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

Colmesneil ISDBy Mollie LaSalle

COLMESNEIL – Colmesneil ISD held their regular monthly meeting May 16 and welcomed a representative with Texas Association of School Boards to present his findings upon evaluating the facilities around the campus (Elementary and Jr/Sr High Schools).

Mr. Read presented his recommendations upon a thorough inspection of all buildings on both campuses. He also noted the age of some of the buildings in his evaluation; the old gym was built in the early 1970s, as was the cafeteria. There were several recommendations for improvement, namely gutters, exterior walls, doors and windows. Restrooms were also cited as needing to be in ADA compliance, and repairs to fixtures. He re-iterated that most of the repairs could be done at a cost considerably lower than building a brand- new facility (at either campus). The last new buildings built were the High School, in the late 90s, and the R.B. Moffett gym in the early 2000s. 

Board members moved on to agenda items fairly quickly and discussed hiring Parsons Roofing to repair and remodel the gutters on the high school building. The board had reached out to two other companies for bids; one offered a no bid, and the second bid was too high. The board voted to accept the bid from Parsons, which was a little under $37K. Next was a discussion on the fencing around the football field; Superintendent Franco commented that there are certain sections where it is falling down or warped (from people leaning against it) and it is needing to be repaired and/ or replaced. Franco advised the board that there are funds available from Special Ed Services that can be used for this purpose; cost would run around $55-56K total. Also on the agenda were the door systems on the north side of the elementary school, the elementary gym and the CTE building, which are all safety issues, per the Superintendent; total cost to upgrade would be about $22K. A discussion was also held to consider the purchase of a new commercial mower for the district. 

Franco said “it would cost more to repair the existing mower than it would to buy a new one”. A new mower will cost around $7,900. Board members approved each of the above agenda items.

A discussion was held to consider a MOU (Memorandum of Understanding) with Tyler County to enter into an agreement for the drainage project on the northwest side of the district property, and to consider a resolution to allow Superintendent Franco to be the agent for the district in the FEMA Hazardous Mitigation Grant Project (board approved both discussions). Franco noted that the drainage project will be 90% funded by FEMA with the district funding the remaining 10%. 

After reports form the elementary, junior and high school principals and athletic director, the board adjourned the open session to go into executive session namely to discuss hiring a new principal for the junior high/high school to replace Walter McAlpin, who is retiring. 

Say something here...
symbols left.
You are a guest
or post as a guest
Loading comment... The comment will be refreshed after 00:00.

Be the first to comment.