By Tony Farkas
GROVETON — The Groveton ISD School Board approved holding its annual graduation and honor banquet on May 19 at Mimzy’s Barbecue in Crockett at its regular meeting on May 25.
Superintendent Jim Dillard said the event is for the top honor grads and their immediate family, as well as teachers, the board and school administrators.
The event was started in 1980 by John Wayne Reynolds, former superintendent; P.D. Hamilton, father of previous superintendent; and Frank Minton, a former coach and administrator.
Dillard said the top five students academically are chosen based on performance; the next five were nominated and voted on by teaching staff and are comprised of kids who exhibited character and integrity and exemplified academics, who exhibit the proper traits to become successful.
There is a plaque for every school year from Spring of 1980 until now with the names of the top students, he said.
Full high school graduation will be May 27 in the gym.
In other business, the board:
• renewed an agreement with Powell Law Group as school attorneys;
• renewed an agreement with TASB Risk Management for insurance;
• approved purchase of a bus from Lufkin Freightliner for Thomas 72-passenger bus for $112,950;
• discussed student enrollment, which is down seven to 747. Dillard said that was an average number for the school; and
• accepted resignations and approved contracts for teaching staff.