A home on West First Street in Groveton was destroyed by fire on Wednesday.
By Tony Farkas
GROVETON — A single family home was destroyed in an early afternoon fire on Wednesday.
Groveton Fire Chief Glenn Hammond said the blaze broke out at about 3:21 p.m. at the address on West First Street, and the Volunteer Fire Department responded with its engine, a brush truck and five firefighters approximately 6 minutes after being called out.
Additionally, the department called in assistance from Apple Springs, which responded with an engine and four firefighters; Trinity, which provided an engine, a tanker and eight firefighters; and Pennington, which provided two brush trucks and four firefighters.
Hammond said that when he arrived, the house was totally involved. The combined crews had the fire knocked down in about 1 ½ hours.
“The guys did a good job mopping up, there were no hot spots,” he said.
Hammond said the resident, identified as Sandy Walters, told a sheriff’s deputy he was going to cook eggs, and turned stove on; fire started there, traveled to ceiling. No further investigation needed.
The home and its contents are a 100 percent loss; however, no injuries were reported.
Donations for Walters are being taken at Susie Q’s. Items being accepted are clothes, sweat pants medium, large shirts and size 8 shoes for a man; and large shirts, pants size 12-14 and size 7 women’s shoes.
A fundraiser also is being organized by Kayla Fry to help replace all items, including the many Christmas gifts purchased for the family. To donate, go to https://www.gofundme.com/f/neka5-help-my-grandma.