From Enterprise Staff
The Coalition Inc. has partnered with the Polk County Sheriff’s Department in an effort to prevent and reduce the harmful use of tobacco products in rural areas like East Texas, where tobacco-related health problems are more prevalent.
The Polk County Sheriff’s Department targeted area businesses that sell tobacco. The age limit to purchase tobacco products, including e-cigarettes, is now 21, per the new guidelines from the U.S. Food & Drug Administration. Out of the 54 attempts done in December and February, 12 citations were issued to the following businesses that sold tobacco products, including e-cigarettes, to minors:
• Right Stop at 11256 U.S. Hwy. 190 East in Livingston;
• 146 Travel Center at 5060 Hwy. 146 South in Livingston;
• Super Stop Food Mart at 111 Pan American Dr.;
• Veterans Mart at 1809 N. Washington in Livingston;
• Brookshire Brothers #21 at 1253 W. Church St. in Livingston;
• Livingston Food Mart at 1600 W. Church St. in Livingston;
• Smokers Paradise N Novelties at 2108 U.S. Hwy. 190 West in Livingston;
• Stripes Store 41012 H at 2301 U.S. Hwy. 190 West in Livingston;
• T-Jaks at 158 FM 1276 in Livingston;
• Best Stop #6 at 1155 E. Church St. in Livingston;
• Star Korner 1 at 602 Pan American in Livingston; and
• Z Food Mart at 2400 N. Washington Ave. in Livingston.