Commissioners vote to reject precinct line changes
By Jan White
CROCKETT – In a much-anticipated decision, the Commissioners Court chose not to change the voting precinct lines for Precinct 1 and Precinct 4.
Agenda Items 13 and 14 involved the possible relocation of the precinct voting lines. Previously, public forums were held by Houston County Elections Administrator Cynthia Lum to explain the potential changes. During today’s meeting, Ms. Lum gave a brief report on feedback she received. Both Commissioner Gary Lovell (Precinct 1) and Commissioner Jimmy Henderson (Precinct 4) expressed concerns over the proposals, as did their constituents. When the motions were presented for Items 13 and 14 to reject the changes, the Commissioners were unanimous in their vote for no change.
Other agenda items of interest that were passed included:
• The approval of a raise for the Grant Administrator and hiring a full-time deputy.
• Adoption of a roadway in Precinct 4 as County Road #4630
• Acceptance of a donation of $1,000 from Thomas McLendon for improvements to CR 1090/1135 in Precinct 4
• Acceptance of a donation of $450 from Mario and Judy Dell’Osso for improvements on CR 4030 in Precinct 3
• Extension of a part-time employee in Elections Administration office until year-end
• Renewal and update Interlocal Housing Agreements for inmates housed in the Houston County Jail.
• Awarding the contract for road materials for CTIF Grant projects in Precinct 2&4
• Motion to advertise to accept bids for contract hauling for the CTIF Grant projects for Precinct 2 & 4
The Commission also approved an agreement between the Houston County Sheriff’s Office Training Facility and the Angelina College Law Enforcement Academy for a police academy to be held in Houston County. Sheriff Randy Hargrove spoke briefly about the need for additional staff and expressed his hope that the academy would draw the interest of local candidates to fill the positions.
The court adjourned to executive session to discuss the county’s potential purchase, lease, sale, or exchange of real/estate and contemplated litigation. However, when the Commissioners reconvened, no action was taken on the agenda item.
You are a guest
or post as a guest
Be the first to comment.