Polk County Publishing Company, P.O. Box 1267, Livingston, TX. 77351 - (936) 327-4357











San Jacinto News Times - Local News

Copyright 2017 - Polk County Publishing Company

 

Board updated on technology

 

BY LARK JARVIS
San Jacinto News-Times reporter

At March's Coldspring- Oakhurst CISD School Board meeting, Technology Director Brian Furbee gave his department's annual report. Furbee said the district began the school year with less than half of the technology work orders than they have had on day one in past school years. He added the department was able to have most work orders resolved in less than two school days. Furbee reported the district is in the first year of a threeyear state mandated technology plan, and that his department must report any minor revisions to their plan to the Texas Education Agency by June 1. As part of the technology department's external audit, the district surveyed students, staff, and community members, and received replies from 18 students, 10 administrators, and nine parents/ community members. 45% of students responding want more technology used in the classroom and 30% want more hands-on instruction in technology. A total of 75% of teachers responding want more technology devices for use in the classroom and 65% want more planning time/professional development dealing with technology. Of parents/ community members responding to the survey, 83% said online learning tools are a critical component of student achievement. Recommendations from the departmental audit include: publishing departmental policies and procedures, redesigning department website, and reviewing/ clarifying the department's disaster recovery and business continuity plan. District Instructional Technology Specialist Kellie Lahey also contributed to the departmental report, presenting a slide show of faculty attending Region 6's Digital Learning Conference. Lahey listed the new ways various departments across the district have utilized technology this year, including keeping track of powerlifting statistics and providing equipment for the inaugural year of UIL Area 6 student film competition. Superintendent Leland Moore said he, the board and Director of Curriculum and Instruction Vikki Curry are drawing up guidelines for a district daycare, and will have specifics, including Special Education department requirements, ready to present at April's board meeting. So far, 13 child participants have been identified, and Curry is working on staffing issues. Campus Reports The high school has 434 students enrolled and a year-to-date attendance rate of 94.3%. Business student Robert Matt Johnson will be going to Anaheim, Calif. to represent the school in national Client Services competition. The junior high has 342 students enrolled and a year-to-date attendance rate of 95.64%. Principal Todd White said benchmark scores continue to rise and that students prepared Black History Month presentations. The

 

Polk County Publishing Company