Polk County Publishing Company, P.O. Box 1267, Livingston, TX. 77351 - (936) 327-4357











Tyler County Booster - Local News

Copyright 2017 - Polk Coun
ty Publishing Company

Colmesneil welcomes new staffer

Tyler County Booster

By Mollie LaSalle

Colmesneil City Council met Sept. 12 and approved in short order the following items: job descriptions for city employees; financial reports; office reports; and water and sewer reports. Anthony Mills, a representative from the Texas Municipal Retirement System updated the council on the city's current retirement plan. After a lengthy discussion, the council voted to keep the current plan in place. The work on the picket fence at the community center is almost complete. Mayor Don Baird suggested using money from the center's budget to complete the project. Repairs to City Hall were 90 percent complete as of press time, with a few minor cosmetic details to be worked out. The council discussed bringing an abandoned property on FM 3065, which was previously destroyed by a fire, into compliance with health and safety ordinances. The current property owner lives in Conroe, and council approved a motion to send the owner a letter in regards to getting the property cleaned up. Council members welcomed Wendy Bendy, new assistant city secretary, who started in the position Aug. 21. She is a welcome addition to City Hall. Mandy Pattillo announced that homecoming this year will be Friday, Nov. 3, per her conversations with CISD Superintendent Angela Matterson. Previous homecoming games have been played on Saturdays, but due to last minute re-scheduling and school delays, Matterson reported that no one would play them on a Saturday during district play. The council also learned road damage due to tropical storm Harvey was not as bad as expected. Railroad Avenue sustained heavy damage, as did the bridge at Clear Fork Creek on FM 256 East, which completely washed out, and was still under repair at press time. Baird said that the damages were estimated at $10,000, and that FEMA is slated to cover 75 percent with the city paying the remaining 25 percent, using their labor as an in-kind match Colmesneil City Council meets the second Tuesday of every month at 7 p.m.

Polk County Publishing Company